Applewood's Woodworking Studio and Gallery
Live Edge Furniture and Vessels
David and Michelle Holzapfel established their Marlboro studio and gallery, Applewoods, in 1976 on VT Route 9 in the southern Green Mountains. They use Vermont's spalted and burled hardwoods to make one-of-a-kind, handmade/ handcarved furniture and vessels.
I respond to the dynamic grain patterns of native hardwood burls. My forms are rendered as vessels. Their function is to project their personalities into the viewer's space. -- Michelle
Burls, branches, hollow logs, and natural-edged boards... the challenge is to make sense of them within the parameters of functional furniture: material-based design. -- David
Their work has been acquired by museums, businesses and homes throughout North America.
Custom orders are welcome. Resume and brochure upon request.
- 18 x 40 inches x 34 inches, burled and spalted yellow birch, custom glass.
- Ophelia's Mirror; cherry, yellow birch, maple, birch bark 34 x 17 x 8 inches. Sweater Box; maple, cedar, walnut 10 x 28 x 20 inches. Baby Blocks, maple, cherry, walnut 12 x 12 x 3 inches.
- It's the Shoes Make the Man 80 x 36 x 24 inches, wood, grocery rollers, shoe lasts.
- sogni d'oro bedside tables. 22 inches x 25 inches x 14 inches, bookmatched butternut, maple, scorched yellow birch burl.
- Lucky Leaf 12 x 12 x 4 Cherry burl, gold leaf.
Teaching Formats: Lectures, Classes, Private LessonsPlease type the following to email this member:
David and Michelle Holzapfel
PO Box 66, 2802 Rte. 9
Marlboro VT 05344